Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Gradient Knit Wall Hanging

My Grandma Klein's philosophy in life was simple: waste not, want not. Like most grandmas, she loved to knit, sew and crochet - and mastered the art of making do. Her collection of tiny scraps of yarn was inherited by yours truly, but it's taken me a few years to get through it. To put this in perspective, she passed away when I was 11. I am now 27.

With the scraps, I crocheted lots of multicoloured mittens, toques and scarfs, but grew tired of making winter gear. As I neared the end of the scrap yarn bag this winter, there were a lot of really small pieces left. Gradient knitting was a great way to use them up. So, I organized the yarn by hue and got started.

It was tricky finding a dry stick this time of year, but after a walk by the river an almost perfect one was found. I say almost because it is quite long - but wasn't sopping wet despite the melting snow - so will do the trick.  After adding tassels to give it a final touch, it's all finished.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

love this. How did you start it on the stick?

You may also enjoy:

o