Tuesday, March 11, 2014
Colour Palette Pillows
When I first saw a crochet tutorial for pedal puff flowers, it immediately reminded me of Timothy and Samantha's wedding. My housemate at the time, Sarah, was sewing all of the ties before hand - so I got a good look at the intricate floral fabrics Samantha picked out. They even had matching cupcakes with pinks, yellows, creams, and oranges.
After realizing I also had matching hues in my hoardings of yarn and fabric, I knew making something for them was a must! The flowers were very fun to make, but practically, I wasn't sure what to do with them. Make a wall hanging? Use them as hot pads or doilies? I wanted something that could be useful for a longer period of time. Wall hangings change with taste and hot pads/doilies are fairly useless. Pillows it was! Throw pillows are so cozy and much more versatile.
Steps to making the pillows:
(also known as the shortest and least interesting tutorial to date)
1) Crochet lots of flowers using the Petal Puff Stitch Flower tutorial.
2) Sew them together with a darning needle and matching yarn.
3) Cut and sew fabric for each side of the pillow. Measure them for straight lines! I'm too haphazard and don't bother.
4) Sew the flowers on to your fabric using an embroidery hoop.
5) Finish sewing the sides together, leaving a 3 or 4 inch space.
6) Flip inside out and fill with stuffing.
7) Hand-sew the hole using the invisible stitch.